Sunday, November 4, 2012

So, I Sew Now

I've never been afraid to mend things by hand, and I've seen plenty of sewing machines in action, but I had never actually sewed on one.  Until last weekend (not including all of my practice runs to get tension right...OH THE TENSION ISSUES).  Anyway, I only sew out of necessity.  It's not overly therapeutic for me, even though I am rather proud to see my work after finished.  Alright, done rambling.  Here's what I've done:
10/28/12 - my first attempt by machine.  I had an old undershirt whose elastic was dying at the top, so I bought a new one, but it was too short.  Solution:  SEW THEM TOGETHER!
10/30/12 by hand.  I agreed to be the rock of "rock paper scissors" for Halloween at work and waited until the night before to make the costume.  The uneven edges of my moss bib are actually sewn by hand to a straight edge.  If I had more skills, I could have just cut this all as one piece, but that didn't dawn on me until after I started sewing pieces on.
11/1/12 by machine.  My husband and I somehow manage to wear holes into sheets where our feet go.  The grey set was our newest set to fall victim to us and I had kept our green sheet that previously got "holed."  Solution?  SEW THEM TOGETHER!  Probably a dumb a idea in general because of all of the trouble this was to get lined up and it still looks poor.  Definitely a dumb idea for your second sewing machine project ever.


11/10/12 by machine.  The left one is a longtime favorite nightgown that I've had that is getting very tattered.  The right one was created from it!  I had help...quite a bit of help...
12/9/12 by machine and embezzlements by hand.  I cut the fabric by eye (no pattern) and sewed the sides, bottom of the "toe," and the white to the top.  I then safety-pinned the stocking to the sweater so it would be a sweater.  The toe is stuffed with scrap fabric, the name is beads with a couple of jingle bells sewn by hand.  Well, then the bells were safety-pinned.  The ribbon was safety-pinned only because I added it after I put my machine away (and after I started the beads and that made me ready to finish the project ASAP).  UPDATE:  The ribbon is now sewn!  You may all sleep more sound tonight.
12/26/12 by machine.  Needed new pj pants after my only 2 pair(s?) ripped down the middle.
12/30/12 by machine.
4/6/13 by machine.  My first major adjustment to a store-bought shirt.
 
4/6/13 by machine.  Found a generic "how to" online and tweaked it.  More info here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment