Quandary
Well, I guess I had an interview today. There was an ad in the newspaper for a vet tech/receptionist position that required you to apply in person. I went there and filled out an application, then the woman stood and talked to me for about 10-20 minutes it seemed like. All of it was interesting. She was saying how it sometimes takes like 2 years to fully train for that position, and that there is lots of "homework" learning about the practice before you can even THINK about answering the phone. All of this was making me go into the "I could so do this" mode I sometimes get into and then she started talking hours.....The job is 30 hrs a week, basically, but it often goes into the "40 hrs" mark because of "overtime." From there I started noting all of the negatives:
- NOT 40 HOURS/WK
- Wardrobe: khakis, a white shirt over which you wear matching (to the rest of the staff) button up scrubs, and white nursing shoes....I don't have any of this stuff.........................nor do I want to. Yuck!
- No possibility of "moving up"/promotions (The next ring up is a veterinary....school, certification, etc.......)
- What if I don't like it? Then I wasted their time and took up a space that someone else might have saught after.
- Can I really handle it? One of the stipulations was that if an emergency comes in (like dog hit by car), then you have to be calm, cool, and collected so that the patients don't start freaking out. I just don't know if I can handle that. I've never been in that position, well, as far as medical goes.
- Lots of homework after hours.
Those are the big ones. I also got an e-mail today saying I should set up an interview with the other vet tech job I applied for. Why are these vet tech ones clamoring for me when that's not even my specialty!?!? It's driving me crazy and making me feel like I'm not good at anything. The "interview" went well other than me mentioning that it worried me that it wasn't 40 hrs/wk. I don't know what I'm going to do if they call me back for a second interview.
I would feel so much better about myself if someone actually got back to me about a "professional" job...like one that applies to my degree.
Tabitha
No comments:
Post a Comment