Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Silly Work Post

Whole.  Lee.  Cow.  I just had quite possibly the most complicated request made of me (and completed...because I'm awesome) at work.  It was as follows (and just skip this post if mundane work details bore you...):

"Hello, my child (A) would like to cancel guitar lessons.  How long of a notice do we need to give to do this?"  "2 weeks."  "Okay...(begins necessary paperwork)......................also, our other child (B) would like to begin flute lessons right after A is finished."  Say what?

"Umm...Okay, A's last lesson will be Dec 1st.  We currently have x# of flute teachers, here are their available times..."  ....Customer gets on cell phone and calls home.....They pick Thursdays again (A is already on Thursdays.)  "Oh, okay, so B will begin flute lessons on Dec 8th."  I look at the calendar.  December just so happens to be a 5 lesson month.  Students never pay for a 5th lesson...it comes out in the wash for holidays.  How am I going to pay A's teacher for 1 lesson in December and then B's teacher for 4 lessons in December (including a holiday), when I only receive payment for 4 lessons?  "Actually, sir, if you would like, I can just call A done after this month and B can begin in December."  I justify this by saying that they came up near the beginning of A's lesson, so it's almost like they came up before it, to which I have no problem saying that they would be cancelled at this exact same time in 2 weeks, AKA you only owe for next week. "Okay, that works."  Whew.

"Oh, and grandma wants to pay now instead of me."  Say what?  Not only are we switching accounts, we are switching from CC to bank draft.  Oh, and that grandma?  She lives in Maine.  SERIOUSLY?  Okay, we can do all of this.  I smile graciously and assure them that everything is just fine.

I go to A's account.  It is a mess.  It is also a rental account and has 20 million notes on it.  There are 2 CCs already on it, it is in Dad's name, etc.  I decide to just set up a new account for grandma and write copious notes in ALL CAPS to avoid any further confusion.

Once again, I'm awesome.  As is my coworker, who completed the reg form after I handed it off to her, since this all went down as I needed to clock out and go home.

Last time, Me=Awesome.

Thanks for letting me tell you how great I am.  :^)

1 comment: