Sunday, March 20, 2011

Babies and Technology (Completely Unrelated)

Babies: I took Friday off from work and Jon and I met up with Price, Sarah, and Baby David. This was the first time we'd met him. 5 months old. Then, after that, I took Jon to work and went to hang out with Shelby and her 1 month old Kingston. About a week ago, we learned that Joe and Miranda have the green light and have completed the adoption hoops course for a baby due any day now. And of course we all know that our nephew Dillon is set to have a baby sometime this year, too, making Jon and I Great Uncle and Great Aunt. I've only been doing this Aunt thing for about a year and a half now...wish I could have gotten some more practice in before moving into the Great realm! Oh, and Lyndsey is due to come to Oklahoma around the 1st of April, so I'll get to play with 10 month old Beckham then. WAVE O' BABIES!

Technology: A computer guru coworker of mine told me awhile back that Android 2.2 (FROYO) had been released and kept asking me if I had gotten on my phone yet. I kept trying and trying, but it kept telling me that I didn't have any updates available. Finally, a couple of days ago, I got a text telling me about it and gave me a link to go to. Well, that night, the link wasn't working. Of course not. Duh. So, I get it to work the next day and it was telling me that I was going to have to down FROYO onto my computer and then put it on my phone. Well, I had tried downloading directly to my phone the night I got the text message, but it, once again, told me I didn't have any updates available. Anyway, On Saturday (yes, while at work), I did the hoops jump and got it downloaded to my phone. It doesn't seem like too big of a change, but I'm still kinda new at it, so who knows. I don't really like its style, though...I would prefer a more streamlined look. Then yesterday (yes, at work again...) the same computer guru coworker tells me about a neat new feature on Facebook that I hadn't seen yet. He says something about maybe needing to have the new IE for it to work. So I get on Microsoft's website today and sure enough, there's an Internet Explorer 9 out and I have 8. Annoying. So, I download 9 after reading a little bit about it (Okay, so I read about it as I was downloading...so sue me...). It was talking about a streamlined format and putting the focus back on webpages. Yay...that sounds great. I thought 8 was a little cluttered looking and clunky leaving a very small window to view a webpage on my netbook. I get it downloaded, restarted my computer and fired up IE9. Ummm....there's an address/search bar (which they were making a big deal about, but Delli - my 2004 Dell Inspiron - had a combined address/search bar.....?), a tab showing the page I'm on, a home button, a favorites button, and a settings button....that's it. Now, I'm going to have to give you a little history here for you to understand how this made me feel. I've always been a "favorites" kind of girl. I even have folders in my favorites folder...that's how I roll. That is, until IE 8 came out on my Windows 7 netbook and introduced me to the favorites bar. Cute little mini-icons all sat at the top of my window reminding me to go check out my favorite sites. LOVED it. I was up to 20+ mini-icons and still had room for more. They were all my banking shortcuts, sites I go to once every few months, sites I go to once every few minutes, and everything in between. This devil IE 9 seemed to have eaten them. All of them. I didn't think to write them all down in case they disappeared. I frantically clicked the settings button...no favorites bar option. I then began to go to the more popular ones and "pin" them to my task bar at the bottom. It wasn't going well. Then, I realized that there was a lot of blank space at the top of the window and remembered that I'm on a PC...with the "right button o' magic". LUCKILY, I was able to add the favorites bar, but it was not easy to find it (I literally had to click on nothing...). So, I'm still a little jumpy after that, but I think this is going to work well. :^)

Well, I seem to be fighting a headache, so I'm going to go. Maybe I'll update more later today. See ya!

-Mrs. Kreilaus

No comments:

Post a Comment