Stupid (webs.com...) site ate my post...
Oh well...
Here are the pictures, which was my main point, anyway. Maybe I'll come back later and re-do the post.
-Mrs. Kreilaus
okay, okay...I'm back to chronicle the week we've had...
Monday 1/31/11: Knowing that the "end was near", Jon, Mary, and I ate at Zio's expecting it to be a "Last Supper" kind of thing. I wish that weren't so true...My boss even had me call off lessons for Tuesday before I left. Channel 6 made fun of us because we were their first call. Yay....So, after a someone normal, yet hectic, day at work, we all came home to settle into what was coming. I was just hoping that I had remembered everything I needed.
Tuesday 2/1/11 (THE BIG DAY): Woke up to snow. Woke up to a lot of snow and lots more falling from the sky. It was a pretty chill day and the "TAKE PICTURES!!!!" excitement was high. Lots of those in the link earlier in this post. Around 12:30, the electricity went out. A few minutes after that happened, but boss confirmed that school was closed. Without electricity, I still managed to get the word out to all of our media people and our teachers. This involved using the internet from my phone to post on one news site in particular. I was quite proud of myself. The dogs LOVED the snow. Well, our dogs. Walker and Missy were not really fans. Luckily the electricity was only out for about 2 hours, so we didn't have to really go into survival mode.
Wednesday 2/2/11 and Thursday 2/3/11: I honestly can't remember the difference between these 2 days, so I'll put them together. One of these days (or maybe both?) had sub-zero temperatures. Apparently, the dogs are not fans of this. Lyka moreso than Phaux. Their paws were getting cold (or maybe snow freezing to the hair on their feet?) and they had trouble going to the bathroom outside. There was also a potty incident with Lyka that I will spare you the details on, that we're still not sure what happened, but during cleanup she let out a huge cry. One of these days was the final hoorah for leash-free roamage as Phaux darted across the street to get the weather report from the neighbors. We started to shovel the driveway and it became really real just how stuck we are. At the highest we were knee-deep and about 6 inches...MAYBE....at the lowest. And we have quite a long driveway. I think Jon started feeling sick on one of these days, too...but maybe Tuesday. Luckily we have some antibiotics in the house, so he's treating whatever it is. On both of these nights, we weren't sure if we were going to close Saied's lessons. I was told to poll the teachers and see if they would be able to make it in. Very mixed results. But eventually, I got the call (text) on Thursday morning that Thursday was a no go. Gotta love waking up to making all the media calls. At least I got smart and mass texted the teachers the news. That was a lot quicker (after I learned that you MUST use the 10-digit number for all texts). Kim made it in to Saied's and said that the parking lot hadn't been touched and the phones were ringing off the hook the whole time she was there.
Friday 2/4/11: I got the text kinda late in the morning that the school would be closed today. I made all the calls/texts again. Apparently it was a hard call to make...even though there would be nowhere for our customers/students to park and if someone fell on our ice, it would be our liability. Today a couple of our neighbors came home (dad and son in the same family) and at one point they were both stuck in their separate trucks on our road. Jon and I went to be neighborly, but they were in their driveway without too much effort by that point. We helped carry their groceries inside. While we were doing that, a friend of Kim and Mary's came by to say hello and deliver horse oats. They got stuck in the middle of the road, but luckily, we had a neighbor on a tractor patroling the roads and got him unstuck. Then as he was waiting on his wife to put the oats up with Kim, 2 trucks came up behind him and got rude about moving out of the way. So he backed into a driveway, getting himself stuck again, to let the friendly neighbors by. However, we all got a chuckle that the friendly neighbors just go stuck behind another stuck vehicle further up the road, within our sight. (TEE HEE!) After the tractor pulled him out of the driveway, he decided that he would let his truck idle in the middle of the road until someone else needed by. This would allow so visitation time with Kim and Mary. Meanwhile, Mr. TractorMan plowed our driveway. Just as he was nearing done, a truck started down our road. I went inside to tell the friend that they'd have to move the truck and they had to leave in a hurry. I was told to deliver a message to Kim, who was across the street, causing me to walk by the to-be-passer-by. Of course he rolled down his window as he got near his truck, so I informed him that the truck was not stuck, it just had to get out of his way for them to get by. Somehow, this got interpreted as that guy backing up and pulling into our newly plowed driveway. Either way, the switch was made and we went back to seclusion. With more snow. It was snowing nearly all day again, with big flakes at first, luckily shrinking as the day went on. Our freshly plowed driveway is not so freshly plowed anymore. :^( And we didn't even get to use it because it got plowed so late in the day. Oh well. Maybe we'll try our luck tomorrow. Somewhere in the middle of the day, I got the call about lessons being closed tomorrow, too. So, I got to make those calls/texts as well. I'm lucky I've been able to get so many hours by just informing people that we are closed, but I am seriously hurting on hours overall. I don't know what's going to happen. I've heard some stations calling for more rain/snow tomorrow, then Sunday, and some all the way into Midweek. I can't believe that some people even have the nerve to complain about having to use their "paid time off" days for this. Well, you have PTO at all; I would start by being thankful for that. Those of us that don't aren't sure how the next paycheck is going to work out. Just throwing that out there. Anyway, you know I'll be back. I doubt we're out of here tomorrow or if we are it will be a scary, scary trip.
-Mrs. Kreilaus
No comments:
Post a Comment